On Wednesday, January 14, 2015, Trinity Hall welcomed Katie Travia as the third “Women in Leadership” speaker of the 2014-2015 school year.
Katie graduated from Villanova University with a degree in finance and went on to a successful career at Merrill Lynch, Bank of America and Morgan Stanley. Although initially an analyst, she discovered a passion for mentoring and hiring others, leading to a jump to human resources. Most recently Katie was a Vice President and HR Business Partner at Morgan Stanley. In 2014 she opened her own business, Career University, a consulting firm providing career guidance, resume advice, interview training and more to students, professionals, schools and organizations. Her guidance has provided many with resumes, internships, jobs, expanded networks and new careers.
After sharing her personal journey with our students, Katie encouraged them to do some “career” homework: consider three different job options and map out what it will take to get there – and what life will be like in that career. She also offered some great advice:
- You spend most of your awake time at work with your colleagues; make sure you enjoy who you’re with.
- Seek out opportunities for your own development. A mentor is a valuable relationship.
- Tap into whatever resources are available to you.
- College is what you make of it. Dig in.
- Learn new things. Get out of your comfort zone. Continue to grow.